Sunday, February 7, 2010

February 7, 2010

IN SEARCH OF RECIPES:

We are fortunate enough to live in the heart of rural Pennsylvania, with its lush fields and orchards, and bountiful harvests of fresh vegetables and fruits. One of my favorite places to shop is a local farm market called Brown's Orchard. When we first moved to PA over 20 years ago, the market was much smaller. It has grown in stages in the years since, and now contains a bounty of home grown produce as well as wonderful baked goods, Amish meats and cheeses and gift baskets that are perfect to send to an ailing friend.

Among the offerings are two baked items that our family just loves: Cherry Pudding and Apple Custard Pie.

Cherry Pudding is a baked cake of sorts, very dense, and liberally embedded with sour cherries. It is delicious! In fact, one of my son's requested that I carry one to him on the airplane the last time I flew out for a visit.

I am looking for a recipe for Cherry Pudding that he can make, as per his wife's request!

Brown's Apple Custard Pie has a bottom crust, a custard filling, and a layer of thinly sliced apples on top that are sprinkled with cinnamon. It is delicious!

I would love to find a recipe for an apple custard pie as well.

So this time, readers, I hope you will be generous and share any sources you might have for these two family favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment