Wednesday, May 20, 2009

POTATO PANCAKES FOR SPRING

I was at the Farmer's Market on Monday and bought three bunches of beautiful spring onions. The ones with big white shiny bulbs and crisp green stems, just begging to be put into a recipe of some kind.
Today I looked in the fridge and realized I had a large container of homemade mashed potatoes left from dinner, so it hit me - make potato pancakes! I used to make them all the time when my kids were little. It's a great way to use up those leftovers.
Here is my version:

NINA'S POTATO PANCAKES WITH SPRING ONIONS

6 c. mashed potatoes (the leftover kind from the fridge)
3 large spring onions (scallions)
2 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste

1. Stir all ingredients together well in large mixing bowl.

2. Heat olive oil in large skillet until hot.

3. Use 1/2 c. measure to drop pancake sized portions of batter onto hot oil.

4. Cook till golden brown and flip; cook on other side until pancakes are firm.

5. Serve with a side of chunky applesauce.

This makes a meal! Quick, easy, and 5 Yums from my peanut gallery of kids. :-)

Tip - The ingredient portions are adjustable; add more milk if you like a thinner batter, add a little more flour if you want it firmer. Either way, the main ingredient is still potatoes, with lots of fresh onion flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment